This recipe is taken from The Stuffed Olive cookbook and ever so slightly adapted. If you haven’t been to The Stuffed Olive in Bantry, Co.Cork, you should go. It is the most amazing deli that makes all kinds of savoury and sweet things. The best being the goats cheese tarts, the salads, and of course the cakes… and they make a lot of great cakes. We love stopping there to stock up on food when we head down to Schull!
These scones are really easy to make and take about 12 minutes to bake, but are really yum and impressive looking. You can vary the ingredients to whatever your taste substituting whatever berries you want and leaving out the cinnamon if it isn’t to your taste. They’re great at tea time, but we ate ours for breakfast!
Ingredients (to make 10-12 scones):
350g self-raising flour
75g butter (room temperature)
50g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
small pinch cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7
- Grease baking tray with butter
- Sieve flour into big bowl with salt
- Add in sugar and rub the butter into the flour/sugar mix with your fingers
- Whisk the egg and buttermilk together. Make a well/hole in the centre of the bowl of the flour mix and pour in the buttermilk/egg mixture.
- Hold the bowl steady and mix with circular movements from the centre to outside of bowl- this should only take a minute.
- Add in blueberries, orange zest and small pinch of cinnamon. Don’t go overboard on the cinnamon as this is only to enhance the taste- not overpower it. Mix together and don’t worry if some of the blueberries get squished- they burst as they cook anyway.
- Put the dough out onto a floured surface and pat it into a slab about 2.5cm thick.
- Stamp out scone shapes with an upside-down glass (or scone cutter if you have one)
- Gather trimmings and repeat until you have used it all.
- Brush the top of these scones with some beaten egg and sprinkle with some caster sugar and the flaked almonds.
- Bake for around 12- 15 minute or until golden brown on top.
These are great straight from the oven with some butter, jam and whipped cream if you have it!