Ah my first recipe from Sydney! It’s been a long time coming but I have been travelling a lot without internet access, but I guarantee it’s worth the wait! My brother introduced me to a blog called The Healthy Chef by Teresa Cutter who has a really nice range of yummy but super healthy recipes. I think it is fitting for my Oz blog as those beautiful Australians are so fit and health conscious, and brunch is my favourite meal time.
This recipe is a great at weekends especially for a bit of a trek. Last weekend we did the coastal walk from Coogee Beach to Bondi Beach in Sydney, and this was the perfect fuel. So here is Australian Chef, Teresa Cutter’s Banana Stuffed French Toast! And best of all it is the easiest recipe ever. You really really have to try this one!
2 slices wholemeal sourdough spelt bread ( nutty seedy ones are the best)
1 teaspoon almond butter (good quality peanut butter will do too)
2 tablespoons ricotta
1 banana, mashed
a drizzle of honey
1 organic / free range egg
40 ml milk (dairy, coconut, almond, soy)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
A sprinkling of flaked almonds
1. Spread one side of the bread with almond butter and the other side with ricotta cheese.
2. Top the almond butter side with mashed banana and some blueberries.
3. Sandwich together firmly.
4. Beat egg, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg & vanilla.
5. Dip sandwich in the egg wash and allow the bread to soak it up.
6. Cook over a low – medium heat on both sides until Golden, crisp and heated through.
Pop them in an oven at 100C to keep warm while cooking the rest. Serve with a drizzle of honey and flaked almonds, and leftover blueberries.